Wednesday, October 24, 2012

. . . AND RORY GRINNED!


Hi, alert readers! In my report yesterday of Mom’s passing and the attending services, I neglected to mention something cute. Well, OF COURSE, it has to do with Rory!

Denny and I both spoke at the funeral. When I went to the stand and began to speak, Rory looked up and gave a little smile. She recognized my voice, but although Ali tried to show her where I was standing, she evidently couldn’t see that far, and soon lost interest.

HOWEVER, when her PAPA began to speak, Rory’s face split into a big grin! Naturally, she assumed he was speaking just to HER and began to talk back to him – with VOLUME! Ali quickly took her out to the foyer where she continued to smile and talk (loudly) until her Papa was finished. Ali brought her back in, and all was quiet.

Rory and her Papa have a special relationship. We had the same experience with her Mom. First of all, Ali always called Denny “Papa”- guess what she called me???? “Grandmother!”  Yes, “Grandmother!!!!”  . . . sigh . . And when she came over to our house, she would rush past me, calling “Papa! Papa!” until she found him. When he wasn’t home, she would settle with me.

One day, after Ali had been potty trained, she went into our bathroom at our house in Santa Monica. Papa was outside grilling, and I was in the kitchen with the window open. Chris and Krissy were around somewhere too. I heard a sweet voice through the window, “Papa! Papa!” I answered, “Ali-girl, Papa is outside, I’ll come help you.” “NO! I WANT PAPA!” “He can’t come right now, honey. It’s okay, I can help.” “NOOOOOOOOOO- I WANT PAPA!!!!!” Now the little voice was tinged with desperation, and I knew immediately what was going on. Ali had clearly had an “accident”, and knew that her Papa would not be upset with her. She had him wrapped around her little finger, and knew it. Well, of course I went and got him. We always had an extra set of clothes at our house for her- and he just quietly cleaned her up, changed her clothes, and they came out of the bathroom as though nothing had ever happened. We have laughed over that for years!!!!! ;-]

I imagine something like that might happen with Rory someday. PAPA TO THE RESCUE!  Or her Daddy, Andrew, or “The Baby Whisperer”, her Grandpa Chris. OR her Uncles Nick and Trevor! Rory is WACKO over all the men in the family.   ** sigh **

No comments:

Post a Comment