Friday, April 12, 2013

MEMO TO MY BODY


MEMO TO MY BODY: It's time to get real. I've HAD it! You are a wonderful gift from our Heavenly Father, and I appreciate all of the exquisite and not-so-exquisite experiences you have provided for me. I remember the youthful years when you would do just about anything I would ask of you: running, jumping, swimming, diving, floor-sitting, dancing –oh, especially dancing!- and, yes, even cheer-leading. As I got older (and lazier), you began to "go south". Not your fault, body. Mea culpa. Chocolate, butter, gooey hamburgers, etc. added immense weight to your frame, slowing you down and creating a REAL problem with your arthritis. In 1999, I finally got FED UP with your size and immobility and changed my lifestyle. It took about a year and a half, but you cooperated, body, and shed 189 pounds. I felt much better and was able to get around more easily.

You and I worked together and kept the weight off for a few years- but bit by sneaky bit, I added a few cookies, a taste or two of ice cream, some cake and the occasional-to-frequent bite of candy to my diet, and the weight crept up and up again. It never reached its highest point again, but was still out of control.

Then we moved to Mesa. I greatly missed my beloved friends from Santa Monica, and the Young Women who had been a center point in my life for years. I missed my teaching at the LDS Institute, and the wonderful young people who were there. I missed having my family nearby (we moved to Mesa, near where Denny's family lives). Evidently I replaced lost sociability with food . . . because the weight crept up and up again.

Anyway, here we are again: needing a substantial lifestyle. My arthritis is worse than ever. Something is wrong with my left side: my knee (replaced 2 years ago) is aching, especially when I sit down or walk. Walking out of the Temple after our evenings shifts is really, really difficult. By the time we reach our car in the parking lot, I am in tears. OUCH!  Had to take a three-month Leave of Absence from the Temple. Not happy about that!

We saw our orthopedic surgeon, who took ex-rays. Nothing was evident- so he sent us to get a bone scan. The scan was really hard to do. I had to lie completely still, with my feet held together with an elastic band. The first two scans were only 6-7 minutes, but then came the 20 minute one! YIKES! Then when that was over, there were two more short ones. THEN, the tech came in to tell us that we were going to have to do the long one again, because it didn't take! DOUBLE YIKES!!!!  We excused ourselves to go the restroom before I had to get back in the machine. When we got back, the tech said we didn't have to do it again after all!!!!  They had enough "takes". YAY! 

The doctor my ortho surgeon wants to "read my scans" is out of town until Wednesday, so we won't get the results until we see my surgeon on Thursday. He told us that if this scan shows no problem with my knee, it's probably something to do with my L4.  (?)  Oh joy!  Will that mean back surgery?   AAAAAAAAACK!!!!!
Okay, enough about that! 

Our beautiful Rory came over yesterday and we had such fun with her! When she forgets what she's doing, she WALKS two-four steps. She sprint-crawls EVERYWHERE!!! She is so stinkin' cute! She knows where her toys are, and crawls to get them. She pulls out her favorite toys, and knows how to work them. She and I have a little "game" we play with one of her toys. We play "peek-a-boo" with a set of plastic keys. She hands them to me and I run them across her little face, asking, "Where's Rory?"  Then again and again. She takes them from me for a second, but then holds them up me and sticks her cute little face out to play again. Really cute!  And with Papa, when he slaps the couch cushions, Rory crawls right over and slaps them too. They play "percussion" so fun! Also, we noticed yesterday that if we ask, "Where's Papa?", she looks right at him. She looks right at me when we ask, "Where's GG?" We sooooooooo enjoy having her come over. She is the bright spot of our lives. LOVE her!






Ali, Andrew, Nick, Emily, Denny and I all went to Red Mountain High last night to see Trevor in "Grease". It was so fun to watch him! The live production is very different from the movie, and that made it even more interesting! ;)

Okay- that's it for the day. I know- not much interesting stuff here. But we'll try it again another day!!!!!  SEE YA'LL LATER!  Sue ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment