Wednesday, April 24, 2013

** MUSINGS FROM THE HEART **


Hello, Alert Readers!

I am sitting here in tears watching a movie about a teenage girl who is being bullied by her "best friends". They have spread vicious rumors about her, sent lying texts and emails about her to the whole class at school, made fun of her openly, etc. I don't know why in the world I started watching this movie, and should totally turn it off right now- but it is something like seeing a train wreck: I can't seem to look away. I can somewhat relate to this girl.

In my Senior Year, one of the boys in my class got a sudden "crush" on me. Because my long-time boyfriend and I had broken up, this guy figured I'd be "easy pickin's" and decided that HE'D be the one to do the "pickin'". When it became clear to him that I was not interested, he began to spread stories about me, really nasty stories. I was fortunate, though, because my good friends DID NOT believe him, and stood by me. But it was very hard to walk down the halls at school and see the looks and hear the whispers from the OTHER kids. It took about two tough months before the kids moved on to another topic, and the guy's stories forgotten.  I'm sure there were some who still believed those lies, and maybe still do -50 years later- but it doesn't matter at all, of course. And, believe it or not, the guy had the nerve to actually ask me to "friend" him on Facebook!!!!  Yeah, right!

I was always a "big" girl. Not obese –like today- but bigger around than any of my friends. This brought an onslaught of insults (phrased as "jokes") from even my best friends. I'd laugh it off- but it ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS hurt.  And I still remember that hurt. Even on my mission, there were those who teased me about my weight. I would love to show you pictures of me in High School, BYU and on my mission. I was NOT FAT! But I was also not thin, lean, lithe, slender, etc. And emaciated models were (still are!) the ones society looked up to. I never felt beautiful until my Denny came into my life. He loved me –all of me- right from the start, and loves me –all of me- now. His sure love has helped me to find the beauty in myself. He is my Knight in Shining Armor . . . and I love and appreciate him more each day. THUMP! THUMP! THUMP go the strings of my heart!

I have never been physically abused in my whole life. But emotional and social abuse is just as dangerous. Bullying of any kind is dead wrong. My heart aches for any kid facing this kind of abuse. It can ruin a kid's childhood, schooling, social ability and make him/her feel "less" of a person.  I can only hope that someone wonderful like my Denny will come along into a bullied person's life and show him/her how wonderful he/she is.

Thank you, my love. Our 47th Anniversary is coming up on June 9th. If I had to choose again, it would still be YOU! You are my angel. I will love you for all of eternity.

That's it for today, Alert Readers. Love you all!  Sue ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment